Pima Air & Space Museum Tucson, AZ 1987
My brother-in-law, Sterling Oliver (aka Butch) gives
five one" to the B-66.
While in the Air Force Butch was suck into the engine of a B-66.
Here's what Butch said about the event
"I got hurt in Alconbury England. It was on a scramble at code name "Whiskey" Alert. It was adverse weather conditions, ice and snow. Slick footing while fastening Dzus fastener 2' behind engine intake. Pilot pushed power up to 93% to use compressor air to start # 1 (lt.) engine. So I was in a no no zone. The hood of my parka was caught in the negative pressure area and slippery ground allowed me to go into the engine intake. Took 12 stitches in my scalp where I contacted the engine generator cone(center of intake). I was in there under power approx 10 seconds before engine was shut down. Other than being sore and cut that was it. I walked to the ambulance. They were known as the WHISTLING SHIT HOUSE affectionally called by mechanics. It won that name because the ejection hatch's above the third crew member were not real tight. So flying they would whistle. The bird was hard to maintain. I was given 7 days off to recoup and kept in the hospital over night to be sure there was no internal injures. Far as I know 3 have been in the 66s engines. One killed, Sgt Berkies broke his back. Recovered ok, and me. Intakes low to the ground is a hazard. Lucky the FOD screens were operating as advertised!! I would have went into the turbine compressor. Been over I am sure. The screens are retracted at 93% power and the book says start power for #1 engine is that or above. Glad Capt. Galespie was following the manual. The guy that died lost his lungs and eyes, so I heard."